I decided to participate in the Thanksgiving potluck at work and bring two types of scalloped potatoes. The colleagues I told were excited for it because who doesn’t like potatoes and cheese? I used a combination of Yukon gold and russet potatoes because I felt the butteriness of the Yukon gold potatoes would be a nice touch.
It should noted that four pounds of potatoes yields a lot of slices. If you have a mandolin, slice as you go, but if you don’t, you can always make a smaller dish with the extra amount. The starch is needed to thicken the sauce. Do not rinse the potatoes after you sliced them!
This dish can be made ahead. Omit the last layer of cheese, cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press down on the plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming on the sauce. Place the dish in the fridge when ready, remove the dish and allow to warm up 30-45 minutes before placing in preheated oven.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, skinned and sliced to 1/8 inch thick
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, skinned and sliced to 1/8 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 6 oz (2 1/2 cups) Parmesan cheese
- Room temperature butter for the pan
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add garlic, milk, cream, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Cook until sauce is warmed through.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush pan generously with butter.
- In a casserole or pie dish, start the first layer by placing the potato slices in alternating, slightly overlapping rows of Russet and Yukon gold potatoes. Stir the warmed cream and add a bit to the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat the process (roughly 3 – 4 layers) ending with generous layer of cheese on top. Cover with foil and poke several holes with a small knife.
- Place dish in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until a knife inserted goes through with little or no resistance. Uncover and broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese is golden. Remove from oven and let the scalloped potatoes sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.