Just imagine coming home on a cold day to the aroma of curry wafting about the house from this Indian inspired soup. It makes me want to take a deep breath, let it go and say, ” Ahhhhh….” The flavors are warm without being spicy; just enough to take your mind off the biting wind. Add some bread with a crunchy crust like a baguette or a sour dough and this would be a complete meal, but I prefer to enjoy this by itself. Originally, this recipe was vegetarian and had a shortcut: (omit the chicken) microwave all the ingredients through the garlic and then add everything to the slow cooker. In the essence of time you could do this, however, I feel it is important to bring out the aromatics in the curry and blossom the flavors in the onion and garlic in a pan prior, otherwise you would miss out on that flavor profile in the final outcome.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts- cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, add chicken pieces and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Brown chicken on all sides, about 5-8 minutes. Remove chicken to separate bowl. Discard any juices or leftover rendered fat.
- Heat another 1 tablespoon olive the same non-stick skillet over medium high heat, add onions and curry powder cook until onions are softened and curry is fragrant-3 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, and ginger and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in about 1/2 cup of broth, stir and loosen bits on bottom pan; pour mixture into the slow cooker. Add the rest of broth, chickpeas, carrots, and chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours on low.
- Stir in zucchini and peas cover and cook on high until zucchini is tender, about 20-30 minutes. Stir in cilantro, season with salt and pepper to taste.