We were challenged to bring an accompaniment to a seafood étouffée dinner that our friends were cooking one day and the only thing I can think of is something with okra. Our friends suggested stewed tomatoes with okra and after asking and looking what would best go with étouffée, the resounding answer was stewed tomatoes and okra. The Paula Deen recipe that I found seemed rather bland so I added a small amount of heat with the ground red peppers, if you’d prefer a milder dish, omit the ground red peppers. The dish overall went over well and Kevin even said “This is so good that I wouldn’t mind having this weekly!”
- 3 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14,5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 C sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter (or heat up canola) over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour tomatoes in skillet, add ground red pepper, salt and reduce heat to a simmer and cook until mixture becomes a thick hearty sauce about 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in okra and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add black pepper and more salt if needed.